H&F Council Adult Social Care - Living Independently
Text size:

Advocacy for care and support

Someone to speak on your behalf

Sometimes it helps to have someone else who can speak on your behalf and represent your interests, especially in formal situations or when you don’t feel very confident.

A person who speaks on your behalf in this way is often called an ‘advocate’.

The Care Act puts into law a duty on your council to ensure that, in certain circumstances you have the support of an advocate when talking to us.

What is an advocate?

An advocate is someone who can speak on your behalf, if you are not able to do so yourself. They can help you get your views or wishes across about issues which are important to you, such as the care or medical treatment which you receive or the management of your finances.

Why use an advocate?

An advocate can help you (or someone you care for):

  • understand and remember important information
  • use that information in daily life
  • express your views, wishes or feelings.

An advocate can:

  • contact people on your behalf
  • go to meetings with you to give you support
  • speak on your behalf when you don't feel comfortable speaking yourself
  • write letters and emails on your behalf

Who can act as your advocate?

A family member or friend can act for you if you are content for them to take on this role as your advocate. This person is known as an "appropriate individual"

Who should not act as your advocate?

The following people should not be considered as an "appropriate individual":

  • someone who you do not want to support you
  • someone who is providing care or treatment to you on a professional or paid basis
  • someone who is unlikely to be able to, or available to, properly support you to express your views
  • someone who has previously been found to have abused or neglected you, or has previously failed to stop other people abusing or neglecting you

When we can arrange an advocate for you

If there is no appropriate individual to support you then we can put you in touch with an organisation who can provide you with an independent advocate

Who is advocacy for?

  • children and young adults
  • an adult whose care and support needs are being assessed or reviewed
  • a carer whose needs are being assessed
  • people who are being assessed during a safeguarding enquiry

How do I get advocacy?

The Advocacy Project provides services (for residents needing support under the Care Act, Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act, or to make a complaint against the NHS).

020 8106 1500 (weekdays, 9am-5pm)

Hammersmith and Fulham - The Advocacy Project

Other local organisations who provide independent advocates

Action on Disability
Normand Croft Community School, Lille Road Entrance, Lillie Road, London, SW6 7SR
020 7381 2042
Action On Disability (aod.org.uk)

HF Mencap
65 Aspenlea Road, Fulham, London, W6 8LH
020 8748 5168
Advocacy (hfmencap.org)

Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow Mind
309 Lillie Road, Fulham, London SW6 7LL.
020 7471 0580
Mind (hfehmind.org.uk)

Last updated: 28/12/2020