H&F Council Adult Social Care - Living Independently
Text size:

Young carers

Are you a young carer?

A young carer is anyone who is under the age of 18, and who looks after an adult in their household - for example a parent, grandparent, or older brother or sister.

You may find that you have more responsibilities around the house than other children of your age, and this can feel stressful or overwhelming at times. Sometimes you may feel under pressure to take time off school to help around the house, or may not have time to go out with your friends, do homework, or play.

Many young carers find it difficult to talk about being a carer. They worry that people will think they aren't coping, or that their family will be split up if they don't carry on with their caring role. But it's important to understand there are organisations that can help and support you, so you can balance your responsibilities with your personal life and not miss out on things.

Help from the council

As a young carer you have the same rights as other carers. If you are, or someone you know is, a young carer looking after a family member who has a physical illness or disability, mental health difficulties, or difficulty with drugs or alcohol, help is available.

We can help with:

  • support in identifying and using services that can assist you
  • one-to-one support, advice and guidance, including home visits
  • free activities and events to give you a break from your caring role, and a chance to meet other young carers. These include regular term-time groups and activities during school holidays
  • specialist training workshops on health, wellbeing and caring.

You will need to have an assessment to be able to receive additional support.

Hammersmith & Fulham Family Support Service 
020 8753 6600

Other people who can help

Help from teachers and other school staff

Teachers are there to help pupils get the most out of school. They can be a good person for you to speak to about any problems you have.

Organisations who can help

Young Carers’ Support Services 
020 8969 812 

Carers Trust Carers Trust helps young carers get access to the support and services they need.

The Children’s SocietyThis national charity runs local projects helping vulnerable children and young people.

Carers UK 0808 808 7777

Young Minds - Young Carers
Advice and support for young carers

Childline Freephone 0800 1111

SIBZ project Support for siblings of children with disabilities delivered by Mencap. SIBZ offers holiday trips to children with disabilities and their siblings. 
Call 0208 748 5168 or email amanda.roles@hfmencap.org

Family Friends Parent befriending and child mentoring projects and programmes. Call 0208 960 9099 or email info@familyfriends.uk.com

Honeypot Respite residentials for junior young carers (under 12). Referrals are made through Family Services, email info@honeypot.org.uk or see the website for more details.

Last updated: 17/11/2020