H&F Council Adult Social Care - Living Independently
Text size:

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing provides a supportive environment for older, adults at risk and disabled people in the community. You can stay independent whilst benefiting from support and security.

Our properties are usually one-bedroom flats, grouped in small, low-rise blocks known as 'schemes'. They have their own front doors, kitchens, and bathroom but you also get access to a shared lounge.

All sheltered housing schemes have a specialist housing officer who works Monday to Friday during office hours. Specialist housing officers usually manage more than one scheme so won’t always be on site but will be available by phone.

What are the benefits of living in sheltered housing?

  • A dedicated specialist housing officer who can be contacted directly in person, by phone or email
  • Optional weekly checks by the specialist housing officer
  • 24-hour emergency assistance through a pull cord or pendant alarm
  • Priority repairs service
  • Use of communal facilities and gardens
  • An engaging community of older people and optional outings and social events within the schemes
  • A safe and peaceful environment
  • Independence and choice; be involved as much, or as little as you like
  • Guest rooms are available at some of our schemes (reasonable charges apply)

Sheltered housing does not:

  • Provide care or support facilities such as 24/7 on-site staff or personal carers.
  • Accommodate families or adult children; only single people or couples can live in the flats.

What rights does a sheltered housing resident have?

All sheltered housing residents have a secure tenancy, once they have been a council tenant for one year, and have the same rights as any other council tenant except:

  • you cannot transfer the tenancy to anybody else, (though we would consider letting a partner who had an equal need for the accommodation stay on).
  • you do not have the Right to Buy your home.

What does the specialist housing officer do?

As well as helping you with tenancy issues such as paying your rent, specialist housing officers are also responsible for the day-to-day management of the scheme. This includes the security, fire safety, maintenance and repair of communal areas. They can also provide information about housing, support and accessing care services.

They usually work between 9am and 5pm and are on site at a scheme for around three hours a day.

Emergency assistance in sheltered housing

Sheltered flats and the communal areas of schemes are fitted with an emergency alarm call system, so residents can get emergency help at any time of the day or night.

The system is linked to our Careline service, which operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year. When specialist housing officers are on duty they will respond to emergency calls.

When they’re not on duty, the Careline officers respond to all emergency calls. The Careline service operates from a 24-hour control room in the centre of the borough.

How can I apply for sheltered council housing?

You are eligible to register for sheltered council housing if:

  • you are a British citizen or have been granted refugee status or indefinite/exceptional leave to remain
  • you or your partner are aged over 60 years
  • you are a resident of Hammersmith & Fulham
  • you have assets of less than £60,000
  • you have been a resident of the borough for five out of the last seven years

If you are interested in applying, please contact the Housing Solutions team for an application form.


020 8753 4198 (option 1 option 1)

Write to:

Housing Solutions
The Economy Department
1st Floor
145 King Street
W6 9XY

Visit us at:

Customer Service Centre
145 - 155 King Street
W6 9XY
(Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Paying for the accommodation

If you move to a specialist sheltered or supported accommodation scheme you will have to pay rent on your flat. Sometimes there is an additional service charge which covers the services of the scheme manager and general maintenance.

If you are eligible for Universal Credit or housing benefit then you will be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent. For further information contact the housing benefits team

Private sheltered housing

You can buy or rent sheltered housing through a number private providers.

Which - renting sheltered housing privately

Housing Care - search for available accommodation

Many high street estate agents advertise sheltered accommodation as it become available.

Last updated: 17/11/2020