H&F Council Adult Social Care - Living Independently
Text size:

Extra care housing

Extra care housing usually provides more support than you might get in your current home or in sheltered accommodation.

You or your partner would usually need to be aged over 55 to be considered for this type of accommodation.

Who is extra care housing for?

Extra care housing might be suitable for you if:

  • you have learning disabilities that mean you aren't able to live on your own, but you don't want to go into a care home
  • you have physical disabilities such as sensory impairment or mobility problems that make living independently more difficult
  • you are an older person who is still able to live independently and safely, but who has some problems with personal care - for example cooking food or washing yourself safely
  • you are the partner of someone who has care needs, and want to continue to live together while they receive the care and support they need.

What is extra care housing like?

In extra care housing you live in a self-contained flat but you also have support staff on duty in the building 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The support offered in extra care housing varies between different places and will depend on what support you need as an individual. It could include support with personal care, meal preparation and other essential day-to-day tasks. You will have a support plan which is agreed between you and the support staff.

Extra care housing provides the added reassurance of knowing that there is always someone nearby if things go wrong when you are by yourself.

There are usually communal areas such as cafes and lounges, and there will often be a programme of activities available during the day.

Extra care housing can't meet all physical or mobility needs, for example extra care housing does not have hoists.

How can I access extra care housing?

To be considered for extra care housing you will need to have had a community care assessment from your local council.

A social worker will then be able to look at your needs and help you to decide whether extra care housing is the best option for you based on the amount of support which you need.

See Assessing your care needs for information about how to get an assessment.

Moving into extra care housing

You will need to sign a tenancy agreement before moving in and you need to make sure your utility providers are aware so you can be connected at your new flat, your social worker can help you with this.

Extra care housing is normally not furnished so you will need to provide your own furniture.

Paying for extra care housing

If you are eligible for Universal Credit or housing benefit then you will be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent. For further information contact the housing benefits team.

You may also need to pay towards the cost of the support you receive. Additional meals and cleaning may also be extra.

You should discuss what services are available and how much they cost when you visit a potential new home

Contact us about extra care housing schemes in Hammersmith & Fulham

For information about extra care housing schemes in H&F please contact us on Freephone 0800 145 6095, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday or email: communityconnect@lbhf.gov.uk


Last updated: 17/11/2020